The Barker Historical Museum is located in the heart of Fredonia, New York. The Museum includes an archives, two research libraries, and rotating exhibitions.
Did you know the following about Fredonia, New York?
- Fredonia was the site of the first natural gas well in the world and was the first village to be illuminated by natural gas lighting in 1825.
- In 1868, Fredonia became the home of the first dues-paying Grange of the Grange movement
- In 1873, Fredonia was the birthplace of the Woman’s Christian Temperance Union.
- Many famous authors, including Grace Richmond and Jean Webster, have made Fredonia their home.
- Fredonia was the home of Mark Twain’s family.
- Fredonia is the site of the first home for aged persons in the State of New York. The Women’s Christian Association (WCA) home is located on Temple Street.
Hours: Tuesdays 4pm-8pm Saturdays 1pm – 5pm